Despite Bataan’s popularity for its beaches and rich albeit grim history, its capital, the City of Balanga, has barely scratched the surface in terms of tourism. I have an endless unwavering curiosity when it comes to non-mainstream destinations, and I was hoping one of Balanga’s top accommodations – The Plaza Hotel, would help foster a deeper appreciation of its city.
The Plaza Hotel’s Location
The Plaza Hotel is situated in the heart of Plaza Mayor de Ciudad de Balanga. It’s a three-hour trip from Manila and is only a bus ride away from Cubao. Plaza Mayor de Ciudad de Balanga welcomes guests and tourists with a Spanish colonial architecture coupled with hints of contemporary design. Given Bataan’s rich historical background, the design is very fitting. Being greeted by this kind of ambiance is a welcome surprise, one that would have anyone snapping photos in an instant.
The hotel is located right beside a shopping mall and is surrounded by a number of restaurants scattered around the area, many of which are easily reachable by foot. Right across the street is St. Joseph Church, which is also worthy of a visit. If you have been to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar, you may have noticed a strong resemblance between this church and that of Las Casas; this is because the latter is modeled after Balanga’s church.
We left Manila past 11 am and we were in Balanga by 2 p.m., just in time for our check-in. Unfortunately, the hotel has very limited parking space during the daytime so we opted to temporarily park in the neighboring mall’s basement parking area. This is the only hiccup we encountered during our entire stay, an unnecessary but hopefully, fixable hiccup.
The hotel’s lobby is located on the third floor, check-in was quick and easy involving minimal waiting time. After a few minutes, we were escorted to our room. We stayed at the Plaza View Deluxe Suite which featured a nice view of the plaza. It had cozy lighting and spacious neutral interiors. The adequately sized television had more than enough channels to keep anyone occupied. But the best part about the room was the bed and pillows. They were so comfortable that my supposedly one hour nap turned into a four-hour uninterrupted slumber.
Of course, checking the room also meant checking the internet speed, and I’m happy to say that I wasn’t disappointed. The speedtest app revealed a download speed of 36.95mbps and an upload speed of 41.12mbps.
The Hotel’s Restaurant
Cafe Kyoto is the hotel’s in-house Japanese restaurant, located on the 3rd floor across the front desk. We have eaten at Cafe Kyoto on a different occasion with friends, both the food and service were commendable.
For breakfast, the complimentary meal stub can be redeemed at Plaza Brew Coffee Co., located on the ground floor outside the hotel. Plaza Brew is a cozy, nicely furnished cafe with ample food and drink options.
Breakfast is plated with a side of fruits and your choice of beverage (I recommend the cucumber juice). The serving is generous enough that we didn’t miss the usual breakfast buffet commonly offered by hotels.
The Plaza Hotel’s The “Man of the House” June Promo
For only Php 3,900 nett, you’ll get:
- Overnight stay at a signature Plaza View Room
- Breakfast for two
- Liquor-infused Truffles from Plaza Brew Coffee Co.
- Bottle of wine
Tips For Your Visit
- Since The Plaza Hotel is strategically located in the city center, parking is limited. There are slots provided in front of the hotel but if there aren’t any available, you can park at Galleria Victoria Mall which is right beside the hotel. Parking fee is 25 pesos, 150 if overnight.
- Take a photo of the dancing fountain around 8pm when there are less people. Don’t wait too late because they turn it off at around 9pm.
- The hotel has a rooftop which offers a nice view of the city.
Places You Can Visit in Bataan
- Mt. Samat National Shrine and Dambana ng Kagitingan (around 20 minutes from Balanga)
- Dunsulan Falls (near Mt. Samat)
- World War II Museum (Balanga City)
- Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar (around 45mins from Balanga)
- Beaches or Resorts in Bagac (around 45mins from Balanga)
The Plaza Hotel Bataan Contact Information
- Website: www.theplazahotelbalanga.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theplazahotelbalanga/
- Phone Number: (047) 237 1037
Disclaimer: We were offered a complimentary overnight stay at The Plaza Hotel.